Policy, Planning, and Environment
The U.S. DOT Volpe Center’s Policy, Planning, and Environment Technical Center provides a full range of planning, evaluation, compliance, and implementation assistance to transportation decision-makers across local, regional, state, federal, and global levels.
We equip transportation decision-makers with the information and tools necessary to plan, develop, manage, operate, and finance the nation’s transportation system and build the capacity of the organizations that support that system.
We analyze, synthesize, and communicate data to support environmentally sustainable, economically efficient, and socially just transportation decisions.
From our work in climate change and sustainability to economic strength and modernization, our teams aim to improve the quality of life for all Americans.
Here are examples of the kind of excellence we advance every day:
- Assessing the costs and benefits of national fuel economy standards, and international aviation environmental regulations
- Supporting safe and equitable transit and multi-use trail systems accessing national parks and public lands
- Creating national transportation workforce development and organizational excellence strategies and programs, including expertise in program evaluation
- Developing policies and supporting rulemaking that drive transformations in reductions in transportation energy use and greenhouse gas emissions, including contributions from technology, operational efficiencies, and sustainable alternative fuels
- Modeling and helping mitigate environmental impacts of infrastructure investments, including complex National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) considerations, such as noise and local air quality impacts
- Driving the development of multimodal transportation demand forecasting
We partner with key administration officials and other federal career leaders, adding value through technical excellence, innovation, and a commitment to public service. Learn more about our sponsors.
Meet Our Team
Our Technical Center is organized into eight offices—each specializing in a different facet of policy, planning, energy, and environment in transportation.
- Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE)
- Economic Analysis
- Energy Analysis and Sustainability
- Environmental Measurement and Modeling
- Environmental Science and Engineering
- Policy Analysis and Strategic Planning
- Program Development and Capacity Building
- Transportation Planning
Director, Policy, Planning, and Environment Technical Center
As the director of the Technical Center for Policy, Planning, and Environment, Gregg G. Fleming serves as part of our senior leadership team responsible for the direction of the U.S. DOT Center.
Fleming brings more than 30 years of experience in all aspects of transportation-related issues to lead our multidisciplinary team focused on transforming transportation with a focus on policy, planning, energy, and environment in transportation.