Infrastructure Systems and Technology
The U.S. DOT Volpe Center’s Center for Infrastructure Systems and Technology improves the safety and efficiency of vehicles, systems, and infrastructure on our nation’s transportation networks.
We perform engineering and safety analyses of rail, freight, and port systems and infrastructure. We explore innovative applications of advanced communications, navigation, and information technologies.
We examine vehicle crash avoidance and electronic systems safety and resilience. We promote an all-hazards, systems approach to transportation cybersecurity.
Our work supports the President’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, which makes historic investments in the transportation sector: improving public safety and climate resilience, creating jobs across the country, and delivering a more equitable future.
From our rail modernization work with DOD to our support of the landmark Maritime Safety and Security Information System to our work on the transportation safety hazard analysis tool SafetyHAT—our team provides expertise critical to our transportation sponsors’ mission, with special emphases on safety, efficiency, and innovation.
Here are examples of the kind of excellence we advance every day:
- Improving the in-transit visibility of marine vessels and aircraft
- Reducing rail-grade crossing deaths and injuries
- Assessing the safety benefits of advanced automotive technologies
- Improving crashworthiness of rail vehicles and track stability for high-speed operations
- Reducing physical and cybersecurity vulnerabilities in the transportation system
We partner with key administration officials and other federal career leaders, adding value through technical excellence, innovation, and a commitment to public service. Learn more about our sponsors.
Meet Our Team
Our Center is organized into seven offices—each specializing in a different facet of infrastructure systems and technology:
- Advanced Vehicle Technology
- Infrastructure Engineering and Deployment
- Innovative Research
- Situational Awareness and Logistics
- Structures and Dynamics
- Systems Safety and Engineering
- Technology Innovation and Policy
Eric York Wallischeck
Acting Center Director
Eric Wallischeck is the acting director of Infrastructure Systems and Technology and principal technical advisor for transportation logistics and security at U.S. DOT’s Volpe Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Read Eric Wallischeck’s full bio here.