Air Traffic Systems and Operations
What We Do
For nearly 50 years, Volpe has developed aviation systems and procedures to improve the efficiency and safety of aviation. We develop and evaluate real-time communication, navigation, surveillance, and decision support systems to support aviation operations throughout the nation—and the world.
Our team specializes in planning, researching, testing, and evaluating the Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen). Our work helps the Federal Aviation Administration:
- Alleviate air traffic congestion within the national airspace (NAS)
- Improve the safety, efficiency, and capacity of the NAS
- Innovate within the NAS through NextGen capabilities
- Mitigate environmental impacts
- Safely integrate new entrants, such as drones and commercial space aircraft, into the NAS
- Sustain and improve NAS facility infrastructure
Our work is organized into six divisions—each specializing in a different facet of air traffic systems and operations:
- Air Navigation and Surveillance
- Air Traffic Management Systems
- Aviation Weather and PNT Applications
- Aviation Facilities and Business Services
- Aviation Systems Engineering
Explore how our transformative solutions solve real-world challenges.
For more information on how to work with our team, please contact Kevin Clark, acting director of Air Traffic Systems and Operations.