Fresh Approaches to Emerging Issues
Thought leaders, decision makers, and stakeholders from across the global transportation enterprise visit the U.S. DOT Volpe Center in person or virtually to discuss future transportation issues, generate fresh approaches to emerging issues, anticipate transportation trends, and inform decision making.
See all upcoming events.
A Different Transportation Theme Every Year
- In accordance with CDC guidelines, the U.S. DOT Volpe Center cancelled plans for its in-person 2020 speaker series and plans to offer its 2021 events virtually.
- The Volpe Center's 2019 speaker series, Our New Mobility Future, convened leading thinkers innovating in novel transportation modes to explore the promise and pitfalls of our new mobility future—and discussed how we're going to get there.
- The Volpe Center's 2018 speaker series, Transportation in the Age of Artificial Intelligence and Predictive Analytics, explored the age of artificial intelligence and predictive analytics in the context of the global transportation system.
- The Volpe Center's 2017 speaker series, The Ongoing Transformation of the Global Transportation System, brought together top thinkers to explored challenges and opportunities affecting the advancement of transportation.
- The Volpe Center's 2016 thought leadership speaker series, The Future of Transportation: Safety, Opportunity, and Innovation, brought together top transportation innovators who are thinking beyond the horizon on important transportation issues.
- In 2015, our series Reimagining Transportation explored technology, disruptive innovation, and the future of transportation.
- Our Transportation and the Economy series examined current and emerging issues crucial to moving people and goods to remain competitive in the global economy.
- Our Transportation System Resilience series explored the escalating threats our changing climate presents to the global transportation infrastructure.
Advancing Transportation—in Under an Hour
Each session in our speaker series features a 45-minute talk followed by a live and online question-and-answer session. Hosted at the Volpe Center in Cambridge, the lunchtime series is free and open to the public, although reservations are required. Want to join the conversation but cannot attend live? Join us via webinar.
Dig Deeper with Volpe Center Colloquia
Transportation Challenges and Opportunities continues the Volpe Center's long tradition of facilitating knowledge exchange across the transportation community. Our colloquia feature panels of thought leaders and experts from government, academia, and the private sectors who focus on core issues underlying today's most pressing transportation challenges. Members of the transportation community are encouraged to participate in question-and-answer periods.
See all upcoming events.
Never miss an event: Subscribe to our news and events to keep up with the latest upcoming speakers and news.
Event News and Videos
For news and videos of our speakers, click on an event from our Past Events page.
You can also see video of speakers on Volpe's YouTube channel.
Join Us for an Event
Participate in Volpe events via webinar or in person.
Our Speaker Series
- Our New Mobility Future
- Transportation in the Age of Artificial Intelligence and Predictive Analytics
- The Ongoing Transformation of the Global Transportation System
- The Future of Transportation: Safety, Opportunity, and Innovation
- Reimagining Transportation: Technology, Disruptive Innovation, and the Future of Transportation
- Transportation and the Economy
- Transportation System Resilience