U.S. DOT Volpe Center staff collaborate on more than 300 projects each year with our sponsors, working towards a better, safer, and more efficient transportation system.
Dive deeper into our work:
- Air Traffic Systems and Operations
- Infrastructure Systems and Technology
- Policy, Planning, and Environment
- Safety Management and Human Factors
Learn about our thought leadership efforts.
Meet our team of experts.
As a federal agency, we draw upon our multimodal, multidisciplinary expertise to advance U.S. DOT’s key priorities across our work:
- Safety: Reducing transportation-related fatalities and serious injuries across the transportation system.
- Infrastructure: Investing in infrastructure to ensure mobility and accessibility and to stimulate economic growth, productivity, and competitiveness for American workers and businesses.
- Innovation: Leading the development and deployment of innovative practices and technologies that improve the safety and performance of the nation’s transportation system.
- Accountability: Serving the nation with reduced regulatory burden and greater efficiency, effectiveness, and accountability.
We maintain a central, cross-cutting role within U.S. DOT by partnering with key administration officials and other federal career leaders, adding value through technical excellence, innovation, and a commitment to public service.
Eighty-five percent of our work is sponsored by U.S. DOT and its operating modes.
Our mandate to support the transportation enterprise is broad. Remaining projects are sponsored by other federal agencies—including the U.S. Department of Defense, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, and U.S. Departments of the Interior, Agriculture, and Homeland Security—in addition to state and local governments, academia, and industry.
A Snapshot of Our Work
- Budget: $220 million
- 300+ ongoing projects annually
- Footprint across all nine modes of transportation
- Collaborate with U.S. DOT, federal agencies, state and local government, academia, and industry