The U.S. DOT Volpe Center’s Software Development Capability Appraised at CMMI-DEV V2.0 Maturity Level 3
The U.S. DOT Volpe Center announced today that our software development capability within our Research and Innovative Technology organization was recently appraised at Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA) Capability Maturity Model Integration Development (CMMI-DEV) v2.0 Maturity Level 3.
Integrated Quality Corporation, a certified CMMI Institute partner, performed the CMMI Maturity Level 3 appraisal with the support of Kreative Korporation.
What Is CMMI, and Why Does This Matter?
CMMI is a proven, outcome-based performance model and the globally accepted standard for improving capability, optimizing business performance, and aligning operations to business goals.
An appraisal at CMMI Maturity Level 3 indicates an organization is performing at a “defined” level—which means that processes are well characterized, understood, and described in standards, procedures, tools. and methods. Achieving a “defined” level indicates that an organization’s set of standard processes is established and improved over time.
In addition, the U.S. DOT Volpe Center’s CMMI Maturity Level 3 rating means:
- We use organizational standards and tailoring to address project and work characteristics.
- Our projects use and contribute to organizational assets.
- We focus on achieving both project and organizational performance objectives.
- We’re dedicated to continuous performance improvement and producing the highest quality of products and services.
- We utilize best practices and share lessons learned across projects and modes to ensure the most efficient software development practices.
Why Does This Matter?
The U.S. DOT Volpe Center’s work helps our sponsors deliver the world’s leading transportation system, serving the American people and economy through the safe, efficient, sustainable, and equitable movement of people and goods.
In support of U.S. DOT priorities—including its strategic goal of organizational excellence—we help our sponsors establish inclusive policies, processes, and innovations to serve communities efficiently and effectively.
Likewise, we’re committed to continuously improving our own practices and processes to better meet the nation’s needs, leveraging data-driven programs and decision-making to guide the efficient management and investment of resources.
Special Thanks to CMMI Team Members
The U.S. DOT Volpe Center is committed to quality work on behalf of our sponsors. Achieving a CMMI-DEV Maturity Level 3 rating required coordination of teams and individuals across the U.S. DOT Volpe Center.
Special thanks to:
- The U.S. DOT Volpe Center subject matter experts, project managers, and project teams who worked together to provide insight into their projects through interviews during the appraisal—and who continue to apply appropriate practices and share best practices within their day-to-day work.
- The U.S. DOT Volpe Center Software Continuous Improvement Process workgroup team members who worked to establish the processes and coordinated application and feedback with the projects.
- The appraisal team members from the U.S. DOT Volpe Center who participated in the review and evaluated the processes and practices in place.
About the U.S. DOT Volpe Center
Celebrating more than 50 years of federal service to the nation, the U.S. DOT Volpe Center’s mission is to transform transportation for all.
We're Hiring: Learn more about: