Volpe’s Air Traffic Management Systems Division applies its expertise in information technology and operations research to enhance the capacity, safety, and security of the national airspace system.
We develop innovative concepts to address existing and anticipated traffic flow issues and design decision-support tools to assess those concepts. As part of this work, our team develops and maintains technologies that enhance the operational capabilities of existing air traffic management systems and procedures.
- Air traffic management concept exploration and evaluation
- Air traffic management proof-of-concept and prototype development
- Modeling, simulation, and evaluation of future air traffic management systems and operations
- Research and development of flight information and aviation weather data distribution services
- Safely integrate new entrants, such as drones and commercial space aircraft, into the national airspace