Air Traffic Management Systems
The U.S. DOT Volpe Center’s Air Traffic Management Systems Division applies its expertise in information technology and operations research to enhance the capacity, safety, and security of the national airspace system.
We develop innovative concepts to address existing and anticipated traffic flow issues and design decision-support tools to assess those concepts.
Our team develops and maintains technologies to help FAA, NASA, and others enhance the opera¬tional capabilities of existing air traffic management systems and procedures.
Applied Data Science
- Conduct research to inform development of flight information and aviation weather data distribution services
- Explore and evaluate concepts for air traffic management
Systems and Infrastructure Modernization and Optimization
- Conduct modeling, simulation, and evaluation of future air traffic management systems and operations
- Provide air traffic management proof-of-concept and prototype development
- Safely integrate new entrants, such as drones and commercial space aircraft, into the national airspace
Meet Our Team
View selected staff biographies.