Volpe’s Technology Innovation and Policy Division performs the analysis needed to develop policy options, strategies, and tools for the successful deployment of advanced surface transportation system technologies.
We perform policy and institutional research to analyze the safety, mobility, energy/environment, security, and asset management implications of advanced technology concepts. Our work supports the deployment of emerging and advanced transportation technologies, applications, and systems.
We also provide strategic planning and program management support for technology research initiatives, including management of the U.S. DOT’s Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program.
Our team consists of policy analysts, operations research analysts, engineers, and community planners who work collaboratively to establish the basis for transportation leaders to make policy and investment decisions.
- Assessment of advanced transportation concepts and emerging technologies
- Institutional issue and technology policy analysis
- Identification and comparison of policy options
- Policy and implementation procedures development
- Assessment of the role of standards in intelligent transportation systems (ITS)
- Risk assessment
- Strategic planning and stakeholder outreach
- Workshop planning and coordination
- Traffic system modeling and simulation
- Industry analysis (e.g., funding strategies and market and public acceptance)
- Evaluation of transportation data collection and maintenance strategies
- Program management support