The U.S. DOT Volpe Center’s Program Development and Capacity Building Division works closely with federal, state, and local agencies to develop and implement data-driven programs that speed the adoption of innovative technologies, policies, and practices. We help our sponsors ensure that transportation research leads to results by translating complex regulations, research and policies into practical and engaging training and guidance resources.
- Program Development: We help transportation agencies develop effective programs by assessing stakeholder needs, evaluating program performance, improving business processes, determining strategic priorities, and creating compelling products and services.
- Professional Capacity Building: We work to identify effective policies and practices through qualitative research, such as best practice scans and synthesis studies, and promote their adoption by the public sector workforce through workshops, webinars, courses, and primers. We help our sponsors implement successful communications strategies by providing expertise in information technology solutions to develop websites, mobile applications, and online databases.
Areas of Work
- Asset Management
- Freight Planning, Data, and Operations
- Innovative Infrastructure Finance
- Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Highway Operations
- Performance Measurement
- Program Evaluation and Strategic Planning
- Transportation Planning
- Roadway and Transit Safety
- Development of the U.S. DOT RD&T Strategic Plan
- Support for FHWA’s Roadway Safety Professional Capacity Building Program
- Support for ITS JPO’s ITS Professional Capacity Building Program
- Support for FTA’s Transit Asset Management Program