The U.S. DOT Volpe Center’s Policy Analysis and Strategic Planning Division provides expertise across all aspects of the policy-making and program/project delivery lifecycle, including interpretation, implementation, evaluation, and adaptation.
Our team of policy analysts, data scientists, geographic information system (GIS) specialists, and strategic planners carries out work on a range of transportation-related topics, and builds and sustains high-impact programs. We collaborate with our sponsors to build strong relationships and yield high-impact outcomes.
- Policy analysts: Our policy analysts leverage a variety of techniques to address today’s policy questions with focus areas including NEPA and permitting, infrastructure resilience, noise, and air quality.
- Data scientists and GIS specialists: Our data scientists and GIS specialists use cutting-edge skills to gather, manage, visualize, and analyze data. These specialists translate, simplify, and effectively communicate the data to a wide audience. These specialists also use numerous forms of mapping to advance spatial analysis and tools.
- Strategic planners: Our strategic planning experts build, sustain, and evaluate impactful programs. Strategic planning informs all of our work to ensure that our solutions meet our sponsors’ key objectives.
- Research, analysis, and evaluation: We conduct research, analysis, and evaluation on a range of project components, including interview and survey design, policy analysis, statistical analysis, qualitative data analysis, surveying and forecasting, and GIS.
- Strategic planning and program design: We assist our sponsors in initiating, facilitating, and implementing strategic planning efforts and provide targeted program design support related to policy implementation, rulemakings, and working groups.
- Geospatial Analysis: We leverage GIS to visualize, analyze, and better understand all aspects of transportation to empower our sponsors to make informed data-driven management decisions.
Areas of Work
- Infrastructure policy
- Process streamlining
- Transportation planning
- Air quality and noise
- Data systems and policy
- Resilience and sustainability