The U.S. DOT Volpe Center's Transportation Planning Division develops and advances transportation-planning projects and programs at the international, national, state, and local levels, through analysis, research, evaluation and oversight work, and communications.
- Planning evaluation and oversight: Evaluate transportation plans and planning processes to determine consistency with applicable requirements, assess results, and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Systems planning: Analyze and conceptualize transportation system operations, estimate demand, calculate lifecycle capital and operating costs, assess potential incorporation of advanced technologies, and develop financing, budgeting, and implementation strategies.
- Performance measurement: Conduct research on alternative ways to measure the performance and improve the operation of transportation systems.
- Project planning and programmatic support: Provide “on-the-ground” support and assistance for transportation planning programs at the community and state levels.
- Communications expertise: Communicating lessons learned and best practices to improve transportation planning and decision making.