Delivering an effective BIL-funded project—on task, on time, on budget—requires careful project management.
Cost estimation and scheduling are critical elements of successful project delivery. Adopting a rigorous approach to each element early in the project lifecycle will help to avoid cost overruns and delays. Learn how to incorporate risk in schedules and estimates, implement controls to monitor quality, and clearly define roles, responsibilities, and procedures to manage progress and compliance of your project.
Find below a collection of resources from across USDOT relating to project management.
USDOT General Resources for Project Management
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- FAA Airport Improvement Program (AIP) Guidance
- FAA Bipartisan Infrastructure Law – Airport Infrastructure
- FAA Regulations & Policies
Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
- FHWA Engineer’s Estimate Guidance
- FHWA Federal Lands Project Risk Register Template
- FHWA Financial Plans
- FHWA Major Project Cost Estimating
- FHWA Major Projects Project Management Plans
- FHWA Major Project Schedule Estimating Process
- FHWA Strategic Highway Research Program (SHRP2) Project Management Strategies for Complex Projects
- FHWA Office of Tribal Transportation
Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- FRA Approved Project Budget Template
- FRA Budget Tool
- FRA Deliverables and Approved Project Schedule Template
- FRA Grant Administration Overview
- FRA Guidance on Development and Implementation of Railroad Capital Project
- FRA MP-20 Project Management Plan Review
- FRA Planning Resources
- FRA Project Development Resources
- FRA Project Management Resources
Federal Transit Administration (FTA)
- FTA Financial Management Oversight
- FTA Project Management Oversight
- FTA State Management Oversight
Maritime Administration (MARAD)
USDOT Training Resources for Project Management
Find below a collection of training resources from across USDOT relating to project management.
- Federal-aid Essentials – Project Construction & Contract Administration
- FRA Rail Program Delivery Video Series
- NHI Course: 134205 Probabilistic Risk-Based Estimating for Highway Project Cost and Schedule
- NHI Course: 134049 Successfully Managing Construction Scheduling and Risk
- NTI – Project Management related courses
- NTI – Procurement related courses
Other Resources for Project Management
Find below resources relating to project management from other organizations. If you have a resource to include on the Project Delivery Toolbox, please share it with us!
- The Transportation Research Board's (TRB) National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) Guidance for Transportation Project Management
- TRB's NCHRP Report: Systematic Approach for Determining Construction Contract Time
- TRB's NCHRP Guidance for Cost Estimation and Management for Highway Projects During Planning Programming and Preconstruction
- TRB's NCHRP Report Effective Project Scoping Practices to Improve On Time and On Budget Delivery of Highway Projects
- TRB's NCHRP Guidebook on Risk Analysis Tools and Management Practices to Control Transportation Project Costs
- TRB's NCHRP Procedures Guide for Right of Way Cost Estimation and Cost Management
- TRB Reports: "Project Management"
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) Project Management Webinar Series
- AASHTO TC3 Cost Estimating Training
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Project Planning and Scheduling (on-demand course)
Share Your Project Management Resources
Do you have a resource related to project management to share? We want to know. Please send here.
Disclaimer: These resources provide an overview of the tools and information available to help successfully deliver BIL-funded projects. These resources are maintained on the USDOT Project Delivery Center of Excellence website as a secondary source and do not supersede primary materials issued by each USDOT Operating Administration. Note, USDOT does not promote one resource over another. Accordingly, please work directly with the USDOT Operating Administration managing your BIL funding for specific guidance.
Looking for Something Specific?
Try exploring the site of the USDOT Operating Administration of your BIL funding.