Explore proven and innovative ways to effectively administer your construction project.
Administering a transportation construction project requires significant documentation, decisions on approach, and use of technology. Implement clear contracts that comply with federal requirements and utilize construction practices that improve quality. Leverage innovative project delivery methods and technology that streamlines processes and enhances communication and workflows.
When it comes to constructing your BIL-funded project, there are many components to consider. Find below a collection of resources from across USDOT relating to construction considerations.
USDOT General Resources for Construction Considerations
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- FAA Airport Improvement Program (AIP) Guidance
- FAA AIP Buy American Preference Requirements
- FAA Engineering
- FAA Engineering AIP Development
Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
- FHWA Alternate Project Delivery Methods
- FHWA Building Information Modeling (BIM) for Infrastructure Products
- FHWA Buy America
- FHWA - Center for Innovative Finance Support – Alternative Project Delivery Defined
- FHWA Civil Rights
- FHWA Construction Program (links into further relevant info)
- FHWA Contract Administration
- FHWA Every Day Counts (EDC) – Construction
- FHWA Federal Lands Project Risk Register Template
- FHWA Utilities – Construction Program Guide – Contract Administration
Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- FRA Buy America
- FRA Federal Regulations Resources
- FRA Guidance on Development and Implementation of Railroad Capital Project
Federal Transit Administration (FTA)
- FTA Best Practices Procurement and Lessons Learned Manual
- FTA Buy America
- FTA Project Management Oversight
- FTA State Management Oversight
- FTA Third Party Procurement FAQs - Construction and Contract Related
- FTA Workforce Development
Maritime Administration (MARAD)
Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)
USDOT Training Resources for Construction Considerations
Find below a collection of training resources from across USDOT relating to construction considerations.
- Federal-aid Essentials – Project Construction & Contract Administration
- NHI Construction related courses
- NHI Contract Administration related courses
- NHI Course: 134049 Successfully Managing Construction Scheduling and Risk
Other Resources for Construction Considerations
Explore the following resources related to construction considerations from other organizations. If you have a resource to include on the Project Delivery Toolbox, please share it with us!
- Build America, Buy America
- Build America, Buy America Factsheet and FAQs for Award Recipients
- Made in America
- Transportation Research Board's (TRB) National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) Report: Risk Based Construction Inspection Guide
- TRB's NCHRP Report Contingency Factors to Account for Risk in Early Construction Cost Estimates for Transportation Infrastructure Projects
- TRB Reports: "Construction"
- TRB Reports: "Contract Administration"
Share Your Construction Considerations Resources
Do you have a resource related to construction considerations to share? We want to know. Please send here.
Disclaimer: These resources provide an overview of the tools and information available to help successfully deliver BIL-funded projects. These resources are maintained on the USDOT Project Delivery Center of Excellence website as a secondary source and do not supersede primary materials issued by each USDOT Operating Administration. Note, USDOT does not promote one resource over another. Accordingly, please work directly with the USDOT Operating Administration managing your BIL funding for specific guidance.
Looking for Something Specific?
Try exploring the site of the USDOT Operating Administration of your BIL funding.