Successful project delivery requires comprehensive planning and design processes that are ready to execute when your funding is secured.
There are many elements to consider when developing transportation projects including investment strategies, performance lifecycles, utilities, rights-of-way, rail, and public coordination. Implementing comprehensive plans as well as collaborative and integrative approaches early in the project lifecycle can help to confidently make complex and context sensitive design decisions. Learn how to systematically analyze and balance your project’s needs throughout the planning, conceptual, and design phases.
Find below a collection of resources from across USDOT relating to pre-construction considerations.
USDOT General Resources for Pre-Construction Considerations
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- FAA Acquiring Land for Airports and Relocation Assistance
- FAA Airport Improvement Program (AIP) Guidance
- FAA Engineering
- FAA Engineering AIP Development
Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
- FHWA Asset Management
- FHWA Every Day Counts (EDC) Initiatives: Right of Way, Utilities, Rail Coordination, Preliminary Design, Planning
- FHWA Design: Railroads, Utilities, Value Engineering, and Performance Based Practical Design
- FHWA Engineer's Estimate Guidance
- FHWA Performance Based Planning and Programming
- FHWA Planning
- FHWA Planning and Environment Linkages (PEL)
- FHWA Planning Policy and Guidance FHWA Planning and Fiscal Constraint FAQs
- FHWA PlanWorks - PEL
- FHWA Real Estate
- FHWA Right-of-Way and Utilities Support
- FHWA Right-of-Way Use Agreements
- FHWA Strategic Highway Research Program (SHRP2) Railroad DOT Mitigation Strategies
- FHWA Tribal Transportation Planning (TTP) Program
- FHWA Utilities – Construction Program Guide – Contract Administration
- FHWA/FTA Joint Transportation Planning Capacity Building Program
- FHWA/FTA Joint Transportation Planning Capacity Building Essentials
- FHWA/FTA Joint Transportation Planning Capacity Building – Equity
- FHWA/FTA Joint Flexible Funding for Transit Access
- FHWA/FTA Transportation Planning Process Briefing Book
Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- FRA Guidance on Development and Implementation of Railroad Capital Project
- FRA Project Development Resources
Federal Transit Administration (FTA)
- FTA Financial Planning and Fiscal Constraint
- FTA Performance Based Planning and Programming Guidebook
- FTA Project Management Oversight
- FTA Real Estate Information
- FTA Transit Asset Management
- FTA Transportation Planning
- FTA Travel Forecasts
Maritime Administration (MARAD)
- MARAD Grants Management Process
- MARAD Port Planning and Investment Toolkit
- MARAD Sample Performance Measures for Grant Recipients
Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)
USDOT Training Resources for Pre-Construction Considerations
Find below a collection of training resources from across USDOT relating to pre-construction considerations.
- FHWA Federal-aid Essentials – Project Development
- MARAD Grant Recipient Tutorials and Common Forms
- NHI Course: 134005 Value Engineering Workshop
- NHI Course: Addressing Climate Resilience in Highway Project Development and Preliminary Design
- NHI Real Estate Courses
- NHI Utilities Courses
- NTI Real Estate Courses
Other Resources for Pre-Construction Considerations
Explore the following resources related to pre-construction considerations from other organizations. If you have a resource to include on the Project Delivery Toolbox, please share it with us!
- Transportation Research Board's (TRB) National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) Report: Trade Off Considerations in Highway Geometric Design
- NCHRP Report: Value Engineering Applications in Transportation
- NCHRP Report: Effective Project Scoping Practices to Improve On Time and On Budget Delivery of Highway Projects
Share Your Pre-Construction Considerations Resources
Do you have a resource related to pre-construction considerations to share? We want to know. Please send here.
Disclaimer: These resources provide an overview of the tools and information available to help successfully deliver BIL-funded projects. These resources are maintained on the USDOT Project Delivery Center of Excellence website as a secondary source and do not supersede primary materials issued by each USDOT Operating Administration. Note, USDOT does not promote one resource over another. Accordingly, please work directly with the USDOT Operating Administration managing your BIL funding for specific guidance.
Looking for Something Specific?
Try exploring the site of the USDOT Operating Administration of your BIL funding.