What We Do
Our Center for Environmental and Energy Systems specializes in the analysis and measurement of climate variability, air quality, and noise, and maintains substantial expertise in environmental engineering, compliance, and sustainability, including the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
We conduct measurements, develop computer models, and perform analyses that provide the technical basis for many transportation-related environmental policies.
The results of our work equip transportation decision makers at all levels of government, industry, and academia with the information necessary to
- Design energy and environmental policy
- Drive reductions in carbon and other greenhouse gas emissions
- Promote energy independence
- Prepare our nation and the world for the potential impacts of climate change
Our work is organized into four divisions—each specializing in a different facet of energy and environment in transportation:
- Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE)
- Energy Analysis & Sustainability
- Environmental Measurement & Modeling
- Environmental Science & Engineering