What We Do
Our Center for Air Traffic Systems and Operations develops aviation systems and procedures to improve the efficiency and safety of aviation. Our team develops and evaluates real-time communication, navigation, surveillance, and decision support systems to support aviation operations throughout the nation—and the world.
We specialize in planning, researching, testing, and evaluating the Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen).
Our work helps the Federal Aviation Administration
- Alleviate air traffic congestion
- Improve safety
- Mitigate environmental impacts
Our work is organized into six divisions—each specializing in a different facet of air traffic systems and operations:
- Air Navigation and Surveillance
- Air Traffic Management Systems
- Aircraft Wakes and Weather
- Aviation Facilities and Business Services
- Aviation Systems Engineering
- NextGen Systems Development Program Office