The U.S. DOT Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program awards contracts to small businesses to pursue research on and develop innovative solutions to our nation’s transportation challenges.
The SBIR Program Office publishes two solicitations each fiscal year for proposals on specific research topics of interest to U.S. DOT operating administrations:
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
- Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Federal Transit Administration (FTA)
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)
- Office of the Assistant Secretary for Research and Technology (OST-R)
Any for-profit firms with 500 employees or fewer that are at least 51 percent owned by U.S. citizens may submit proposals for this program. For more information about eligibility, visit http://www.sbir.gov/about/about-sbir.