The U.S. DOT's FY 2020 Phase I SBIR solicitation is open from February 6, 2020, through March 9, 2020 at 5:00 pm (ET).
Solicitation Open with Amended Topics
The proposed topic list shared during the pre-solicitation has been amended for the U.S. DOT FY20 Phase I Solicitation as follows:
- Topic FA1, Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) of Critical Nickel Turbine Engine Parts, has been withdrawn. No offers will be accepted on this topic.
- Topic FH2, Innovative Layered Composite Metal Deck System, has been updated with clarifications.
- Topic FR2, Artificial Intelligence (AI)-Aided Machine Vision for Grade Crossing Safety, has been updated with clarifications.
A pre-offer webinar for small business concerns (SBCs) interested in applying to the U.S. DOT's FY20 solicitation was held on Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 1:00 pm (ET). View a PDF of the webinar slides, and questions and answers from the webinar, or watch a captioned recording of the webinar.
How to Apply
- Read the FY20 Solicitation for information about the FY20 research topics and offer requirements. Learn more about new solicitation activities for FY20, including Pitch Day, here.
- Review the FY20 Technical and Administrative Questions and SBIR FAQs.
- If you have any administrative questions not listed on the FY20 Technical and Administrative Questions page or our FAQs, or questions regarding Appendix C: Contract Pricing Worksheet, please submit such questions via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5:00 pm (ET) on Monday, March 2, 2020.
- Please note: Technical questions pertaining to the research topics will not be answered during the solicitation period as technical questions were only permitted during the pre-solicitation period.
- Submit an offer through our secure site. To prepare for submission, you may view the submission form fields in advance.
- PLEASE NOTE: As of February 11, 2020, the website is now open for submission of offers.
You must submit 3 separate PDF files for your offer (see the guidelines and requirements in the FY2020 Solicitation):
- Technical section
- Appendices A and B
- Contract Pricing Worksheet (Appendix C)
The U.S. DOT SBIR Program Office intends to make recommendations for SBIR Phase I awards no later than 90 days after the closing date of this solicitation.
See Section VIII of the FY20 Solicitation document for full research topic descriptions.
Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
- 20-FH1: Physical Intervention System for Wrong-way Driving on Ramps
- 20-FH2: Innovative Layered Composite Metal Deck System
- 20-FH3: Real-time Monitoring and Modeling of Scour
Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- 20-FR1: Autonomous Track Inspection Technology
- 20-FR2: AI-Aided Machine Vision for Grade Crossing Safety
- 20-FR3: Platform Edge Proximity Detection to Prevent Inadvertent Passenger Car Door Opening
- 20-FR4: Crushed Aggregate Gradation Evaluation System
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- 20-NH1: In-Vehicle Occupant Detection System
Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)
- 20-PH1: Development and Validation of Inline Inspection (ILI) Technologies for Circumferential Anomalies and Bending Stresses
- 20-PH2: Internal Repair of Steel Transmission Pipelines
- 20-PH3: Geohazard Identification and Quantification for Pipeline Risk Models
- 20-PH4: Scaling up of Composite Metal Foam Manufacturing for HazMat Packaging