Cape Cod Climate Change Scenario Planning Project
An Interagency Transportation, Land Use, and Climate Change Pilot Initiative
Numerous regions of scenic beauty and environmental significance, some of which include large areas of federally-owned land, will be adversely affected by shifting weather patterns and impacts associated with climate change. To help develop long-term mitigation and adaptation strategies, Volpe worked with a team of federal, regional, and state stakeholders to execute a scenario planning pilot project on Cape Cod, Massachusetts to integrate climate change considerations into existing and continuing transportation, land use, coastal zone, and hazard mitigation planning processes. The one-pager below summarizes the project:
- Cape Cod Project One-Pager (PDF, 159 KB)
Volpe developed a guidebook that discusses the steps taken during the pilot project and presents lessons learned and recommendations that will guide other areas in pursuing a similar multiagency approach to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and plan for climate change impacts through integrated transportation and land use scenario planning. In addition, the scenario-planning consultant has produced a supplemental report that details the methodology and results of the scenario development and includes discussion on limitations and future opportunities.
- A Framework for Considering Climate Change in Transportation and Land Use Scenario Planning: Lessons Learned from an Interagency Pilot Project on Cape Cod: Final Report (PDF, 2.07 MB)
- Technical Scenario Report (PDF, 4.4MB, Updated November 2011)
The Federal Highway Administration funded Volpe to develop an "Action Plan" for the Cape Cod Commission. The Action Plan summarizes the data, methods, and assumptions used to develop the refined scenario, as well as opportunities to integrate the refined scenario as it currently stands into regional and local planning processes and build upon it using CommunityViz.
- Cape Cod Commission Action Plan (PDF, 563KB)
- American Planning Association, Planning magazine (October 2011): High-Touch/High-Tech Charrettes
- Esri, ArcNews (Fall 2011): Climate Change Scenario Planning for Cape Cod: A Collaborative Exercise in GeoDesign
- CommunityViz Case Study: Climate Change Scenario Planning
- FHWA Scenario Planning Website
- Cape Cod National Seashore Scenario Planning Website
- National Park Service Climate Change Response Program: Adaptation and Scenario Planning
- US Fish & Wildlife Service Climate Change Website
- Scenario planning consultants and software: Placeways, CommunityViz, PlaceMatters
If you are interested in pursuing a process similar to that which this project employed, please contact the project manager (see right column).
Scenario Planning Workshop (Volpe photo)