Technology Transfer includes a range of formal and informal cooperative actions between agencies, federal laboratories, and the public and private sectors. Successful technology transfer efforts provide the following: product improvement, service efficiencies, improved manufacturing processes, joint development to address government and private sector needs, and the development of major new products for the international marketplace.
Technology Transfer at the Volpe Center focuses primarily on information exchange and some limited Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) activity. The exchange of technical information is accomplished through:
- the Volpe Center's web site,
- conferences, symposia, seminars.
- Strategic Initiatives for Research and Innovation
Interaction with the larger technology transfer community includes:
- the Federal Laboratory Consortium,
- the National Technology Transfer Center,
- the Association of University Technology Managers,
- the Transportation Research Board.
The Center is also responsible for coordinating and supporting the Department of Transportation's Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program.