In addition to salaries commensurate with experience, the Volpe Center offers a wide range of benefits that support your personal needs and financial goals. Our benefits package is designed to help our employees and their families more effectively balance their professional and personal lives. All permanent and some temporary employees are eligible for all benefits, although some benefits may have specific waiting periods.
The U.S. Department of Transportation has established a DOT Benefits Page. Geared for Federal DOT employees, this new site provides Federal and department-wide guidance for retirement, life insurance, health benefits, and the Thrift Savings Plan. The DOT Benefits Page was designed through a DOT Consolidated Team effort. For ease of use, some of the more important benefits are spelled out below along with links to additional information.
The Volpe Center encourages and rewards excellence with a comprehensive incentive awards program consisting of a wide variety of both monetary and honorary recognition, including individual, teamwork, and peer-nominated awards.
- Salaries are based on experience and qualifications with broad advancement opportunities and regular cost-of-living increases
- The Federal Government offers a generous retirement program that includes:
- A defined benefit annuity, and
- Employer matching (up to 5% of total salary) of employee contributions to the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) , the Federal Government's version of a 401(k) plan
- Choice among a more than a dozen different health benefits plans, both HMO and traditional (fee-for-service), under the Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB) Program
- PlanSmartChoice is an online suite of health plan selection tools that helps federal employees make informed decisions about their health care and employee benefits. The application is free of charge to federal employees and is available year round for new hires and qualified status changes (in addition to being available during open season).
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for both Health Care and Dependent Care.
- Optional participation in the Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance (FEGLI) Program
- A flexible work schedule that provides flexible daily starting times and a comprehensive leave program including
- Annual leave (vacation time)
- Sick leave
- Compensatory time (for work beyond regular tour of duty)
- Credit hours
- Tuition reimbursement
- Volpe Fellows Program
- Transit subsidy or free parking onsite
- On-site Child Care Center
- On-site Fitness Center
- On-site Health Unit, with a full-time nurse on site and access to physicians, as needed
- On-site Credit Union
- Telecommuting (work-at-home) opportunities